Sunday, September 21, 2008

Preparations 101

I'm told the British don't use the phrase "101" to describe an introductory course.


What I need right now is a 101 course (or whatever you want to call it) on moving to the UK. For those of you who don't already know, I've accepted a job as a Physics Prof at Oxford. But the preparations for getting myself, and my little world, across the pond are mind-boggling. And you all thought that physics was hard.

Among the things I need to do: Move my stuff, Set up new apartment, Get a new bank account, Retire from my current job, Roll over my 401K, Get a work permit for the UK, Get a physical before leaving, Get vaccinations, Sell Betty (my honda civic), Buy a new laptop (mine belongs to work), Sell my NJ apartment (which means fixing everything that is broken first)... and all of this is before I even know what (if anything) I am supposed to be teaching first semester of 2009. (Actually I think I don't have to teach my first semester.) But the whole thing seems more complicated than invading Normandy... so to speak.

And yes, being a Prof at Oxford means I get to wear the big black gown at dinner (Think Hogwarts) But no, I don't wear it while teaching.

Oh, and by the way, for those of you who might be interested, tomorrow I give the Physics department colloquium at Columbia University.

No comments: