Sunday, June 28, 2009

When will I learn?

When will I learn?

Once again, I find myself stuck in the Rome Fiumicino airport. Why? Because Alitalia has very few flights to London. So when my flight from Pisa was delayed (and perhaps I should have expected as much) and I missed my flight back to Heathrow, I was stuck for quite a while --- inconveniently long, but not really long enough to be able to go into Rome and look around. You would think, being that I found myself in this position less than three months ago, I might be a bit of a more savvy traveler by this time. Alas, I never learn.

Rule 1: Always take direct flights

Rule 2: If violating rule 1, do not take Alitalia.

Rule 3: You do not talk about fight club

***

Here's a simple multiple choice quiz. Which do you think took longer:

(a) Flying from Santa Barbara California home to Oxford on United Airlines with a layover in San Francisco, total distance 5425 miles

(b) Flying from Pisa Italy home to Oxford on Alitalia with a layover in Rome, total distance 774 miles

(c) They both took the same amount of time

I'll give you a hint. I am really annoyed with Alitalia this morning.

***


And while we are on the subject of great service from the airlines, I heard the following announcement in the airport:

“Attention please, if anyone needs a wheelchair, please come up to the front desk."

I couldn't make this stuff up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In Netherland, written by an Irishman raised in Holland, the main character moves to New York and searches high and low for a cricket club, and determines that the defining feature of Americans is their fundamental inability to understand cricket.