Saturday, August 18, 2012

Stockholm Syndrome

While I am usually a fairly healthy person, I have a bad string of luck for catching coughs and colds whenever I go to Stockholm.   Being that it happened again this year, I really am beginning to think there is a trend -- a Stockholm syndrome perhaps.

Admittedly it seemed that there was just something going around last week.  Several of the physicists were sick for a day or two.  I was doing pretty well until the day I was scheduled to fly home to Oxford when I started to feel like my head was going to explode.  Unfortunately this made me the horrible person on the airplane who was coughing and sneezing and contaminating everyone in sight.   I really tried to keep myself from being the Typhoid Mary, but alas, I suspect there is an outbreak of Stockholm syndrome about to begin in London.   If a virus were much more serious than the common flu (like an H1N1 or similar) you could be seriously worried, in this era of modern travel, about how quickly it could be passed around the globe.

Some people have suggested that my catching cold might have been slightly related to having cold air rammed into my sinuses at 200 kilometers per hour.   Whether or not that was a contributing factor, the good news is that this year's Stockholm syndrome was not too bad -- it seems to be mostly gone a day or two later.

No comments: